Public Information


Maximum Gross Weights during Spring Road Bans

Highway 24 Weight Classification

The Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways is currently investigating the possibility of changing the weight classification on Highway 24, while also assessing the risk of encouraging over-weight hauling on the 11 kilometre secondary weight segment from Spiritwood north.  At this time, the weight classification for the newly constructed segments will be SECONDARY until the previously mentioned assessment is completed.

RM of Spiritwood/Town of Spiritwood Emergency Plan

The emergency plan provides direction for the TOWN OF SPIRITWOOD and the R.M. OF SPIRITWOOD when responding to an emergency.  An emergency plan will not prevent, nor reduce the possibility of an emergency occurring. It will aid in providing a prompt and coordinated response, thereby reducing human suffering and loss or damage to property or the environment.  The Emergency Plan authorizes the taking of extraordinary action by Police, Fire and/or other Emergency Response Personnel, for the safety and well-being of the community, where time is of critical importance.

Download Emergency Plan


Residents of the RM of Spiritwood are permitted to use the Town of Spiritwood Transfer Station located 1 mile east of town.  The hours, costs, and any other pertinent information can be found on the Town of Spiritwood web site.

Silage Wrap is now accepted at the collection site

Silage Wrap is now accepted at the collection site located at the Town landfill during regular landfill hours:

Wednesdays 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Saturdays 11:00 am – 4:00 pm

Silage Wrap must be rolled and secured or can be placed in the twine collection bags that can be picked up from the RM municipal office. (See picture for Examples)

Grain bags are accepted by appointment only. Please contact the RM office at 883-2034 to schedule an appointment


View / Download PDF

Plastic bags and stretch plastic, when put into the recycle bin’s, contaminate the other material causing it to be all sent to the landfill.

Only plastic with the numbers 1-7 is recyclable.

Any plastic bags which also include clear, blue, black and orange garbage bags, even if they are filled with recyclables and stretch plastic’s are NOT recyclable. The only time a CLEAR plastic bag is permitted is when it’s filled with shredded paper. Please see the photo attached for more information on what is accepted and not accepted items.

View More …

Electronic Notices & Pre-authorized Payments

Did you know that you can have your tax notice emailed?

We can also setup monthly pre-authorized debit for tax payments.

Please contact the municipal office at (306) 883-2034 for more information.


Pest Control

The RM of Spiritwood offers rat bait to property owners at no charge. Please help us to keep rats and mice at a minimum within our municipality. If you require the pest control officer to visit your farm site please call Don Heide at 883-2377 or if you need rat bait please stop by the municipal office located at 218 Main Street in the town of Spiritwood.

Notify by Network

Notify by Network is an alert notification system that allows you to subscribe to instantly receive messages via SMS. It’s a really simple and quick way to get alerts from the Rural Municipality of Spiritwood. The message will go directly to your phone via text message. It’s really simple to sign up, too! All you have to do is text the word “Join” to the Notify by Network number 1-306-500-6061. You can also sign up by clicking on the Click Here on the contact us page of the website and following the steps.

RM of Spiritwood No. 496 – Controlled Burn Management

With the warmer weather finally upon us, you may need to burn grass, bush piles or stubble. Please be sure you are well-prepared and that you have fire guards in place. These “controlled burns” should also be reported, to avoid dispatching firefighters unnecessarily.

Any person who starts a fire is responsible for all suppression costs and possible liability from damage caused by the fire. If you do decide to burn, choose to do so under conditions that minimize health and safety risks.

Report a controlled burn anywhere in the province.

Call 1-866-404-4911

The number is answered 24/7 – 365 days.

Questions you will be asked:

What is your land location?

What is your RM number?

Who is your Fire Service Provider?

What are the location details?

What are you burning?

How long will your burn last?

Your name and phone number.

You will be asked to call back, once the burn has been completed.

If you plan to burn in or within 4.5 kilometres of the provincial forest during the wildfire season (April 1 to October 31), you may also need a burn notification number. These are available from the Ministry of Environment’s Wildfire Management Forest Protection Offices Call 1-306-469-2500.


Civic address signs for all residences in the municipality are being dispersed.  The sign posts and attachment hardware are available at the RM office in Spiritwood.  Civic addresses are currently being used for emergency services only.

Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in residential buildings

Saskatchewan’s Building Code Regulations require every building with a residential occupancy to have carbon monoxide (CO) and smoke alarms installed by July 1, 2022, regardless of when the building was constructed.

Residential occupancies are rented or owned buildings with sleeping quarters such as:

  • houses (both urban and rural)
  • duplexes
  • apartments
  • condominiums
  • townhouses
  • motels and hotels

Building owners are required to install independent smoke and CO alarms or combination devices that detect both smoke and CO. The number and location of devices must conform to requirements of the National Building Code of Canada (NBC).

Devices with a 10-year tamper resistant battery are permitted to meet this requirement provided the building is not already required by the NBC or a municipal bylaw to have a hardwired CO and smoke alarms.


As a collective, the Resort Village of Big Shell (RV) the Resort Village of Echo Bay (RV), and Rural Municipality of Spiritwood (RM) identified a need to undertake a Lake Capacity Study to measure key environmental and physical characteristics of Big Shell lake to assess how current levels of development and lake use affect ecological conditions.

In 2022, the RV’s and RM hired Urban Systems to undertake the Lake Capacity Study.  Field studies, data collection, and community engagement initiatives were undertaken by Urban Systems between spring2022 and summer 2023.  In October 2023, Urban Systems provided the Lake Capacity Study report to the RV’s and RM for review and facilitated a presentation of the findings and recommendations with the group.

The report provides guidance on how the RV’s and RM can collaborate together on making decisions to support a balance between the preservation of the natural environment, development, and recreational use of the lake.

View / Download PDF

Meeting Lake Environmental Carrying Capacity Study

The RM of Spiritwood, RM of Meeting Lake, Meeting Lake Regional Park & OH of Spruce Bay have partnered to undertake an Environmental Carrying Capacity Study that will build and strengthen regional collaboration and foster consistent and cohesive decision-making processes relating to development around Meeting Lake. The results of this study will provide guidance and recommendations for lakeshore management, future land use and planning, and development decisions with the goal of preserving the natural and recreational attributes of Meeting Lake.

The Study is attached via the link below.

View / Download PDF

Feral Wild Boar Control Program

The Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation (SCIC) will now administer the Feral Wild Boar Control Program. As you may be aware this program was previously administered by the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM); however, it has been transferred to SCIC to accompany the wildlife damage compensation and prevention programming available to Saskatchewan producers.

The function of the Feral Wild Boar Control Program is not changing and will still involve the coordination of qualified teams of hunters and trappers to investigate sightings and take appropriate action to deal with problem animals. SCIC’s role is to be the first point of contact when producers and land owners have sightings of wild boar and to determine and coordinate the appropriate response.