Banner Image - 3
Permit Information
Image 3

The RM of Spiritwood supports a diverse array of land use options with regulations in place to ensure ratepayers are able to enjoy the rural quality of life.

Whether you are constructing a residence on your land, renovating an existing building, operating a home based business, constructing a commercial or industrial building, or operating an intensive livestock operation, a number of permits and approvals may be required prior to beginning your project.

The first step in your project planning should be to review the links below that will provide more information and the required application forms to be submitted.

If you need further assistance contact the municipal office to help you determine whether you need a development permit, a building permit or both.

Development Permits
A development permit acknowledges the use of land or buildings and its compliance with the applicable Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw. In almost all cases an approved development permit is required before commencing any development or use of land in the RM of Spiritwood.

Building Permit
A building permit is separate from a development permit. A building permit refers to building construction and compliance with the National Building Code and is governed by the RM Building Bylaw.

Minor Variances
A minor variance is a request for a relaxation of the minimum required setback distance of a building.